Ntakow Jonathan was burnt during Christmas festivities

A 15-year-old pupil of Asuokaw Presbyterian Primary School in the West Akyem Municipality of the Eastern region with post-burn contracture needs at least Ghs10, 000 to undergo surgery to correct the defect.

Ntakow Jonathan was burnt during Christmas festivities when a gallon of petrol kept in the house by his father caught fire when he was lightening a bamboo made firecracker.

He was treated at the Asamankese government Hospital but later referred to Eastern Regional Hospital for treatment and rehabilitation, his parents, however, did not have the money for his medical bills, compelling them to resort to a natural healing process.

That has led to Jonathan developing contracture at his hamstring area making it difficult to straighten the leg, affecting his ability to walk.

Jonathan’s worrying condition has grounded his education as his parents were reluctant to let him resume schooling. The school authorities, however, intervened securing him clutches to aid in his movement in order for him to return to school.

Call for support

The head teacher of Asuokaw Presbyterian Basic School, Madam Janet has taken upon her the challenge of soliciting for public support to raise funds for Jonathan to undergo surgery to correct the defect.

“He got burnt through petrol. The father deposited petrol in one of the rooms and it was Christmas, so he was playing with Christmas guns and it caught fire and he got burnt. When he was taken to Asamankese Government Hospital he was referred to Koforidua but the Father couldn’t afford so he brought him back to the village,” she told Starr News.

“So when we heard it, we went to visit him with medicine but later we found out that the incident had affected one of his legs,” she added, noting Ghs10, 000 is needed for Jonathan to undergo corrective surgery.

“We are appealing to philanthropists to come to the aid of the boy,” she cried out.

Source: Ghana/Starrfm.com.gh/103.5/Kojo Ansah