Government has denied claims that Canadian security officials were involved in the operation that led to the rescue of the two kidnapped Canadians in Ghana Wednesday morning.
Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah told the media so far eight persons -5 Ghanaians and 3 Nigerians – are currently in Police custody over the kidnap of the foreigners.
He said one of the suspects sustained minor injuries during the encounter with the Police.
He noted the victims have been brought to Accra and are receiving the necessary support.
Government earlier announced the rescue operation in a statement.
“National Security Operatives in the early hours of Wednesday 12 June, 2019 completed an operation which successfully rescued the two (2) Canadian women recently abducted in the Ashanti Region”.
Meanwhile, three teenage girls who were kidnapped in Takoradi in the Western region in 2018 have still not been found.
Statistics have also revealed that there were 64 kidnapping cases in 2018, 23 of which were true kidnapping cases and 28 of which were abductions.