Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam has said the government will listen to the public with an open mind, after pro-Beijing candidates were resoundingly defeated in local elections.
According to local media counts, 17 of the 18 councils are now controlled by pro-democracy councillors.
The election saw an unprecedented voter turnout of more than 71%
The result is being seen as a stinging rebuke of Ms Lam’s leadership through many months of protest and clashes.
In a statement released online on Monday, Ms Lam said the government respected the results.
She said there were “various analyses and interpretations” but that “quite a few are of the view that the results reflect people’s dissatisfaction with the current situation and the deep-seated problems in society”.
The government would “listen humbly to citizens’ opinions and reflect on them seriously”, she said.
For nearly six months demonstrations and unrest have continued unabated – they were sparked by a now withdrawn extradition bill.
Police have at times used live rounds, wounding several protesters. Activists in turn have attacked police and in one case set alight a government supporter.
Sunday’s vote – which unfolded without incident – was the opportunity for people to express at the ballot box their view of Ms Lam’s handling of the crisis.
The government and Beijing had been hoping the election would bring a show of support from the so-called “silent majority”, but that did not materialise.
Instead some high-profile pro-Beijing candidates lost their seats.