The Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta has told Parliament that the $100 million announced by President Akufo-Addo to fight coronavirus is not ready.
President Akufo-Addo in an address last week said the finance minister has been directed to make the funds available to respond to the deadly virus. Six cases have so far been confirmed in Ghana.
The amount, according to the President “is to fund the expansion of infrastructure, purchase of materials and equipment, and public education.”
But briefing Parliament about the fiscal impact of Covid-19 which has crushed the international capital market, Mr. Ofori-Atta disclosed Ghana has applied to the World Bank to tap into a $12 billion fast track Covid-19 facility and the IMF $10 billion facility to address the deadly virus.
According to the minister, the government will augment allocations from the two institutions with local resources.
The minority is, however, not enthused about the revelation of the Finance Minister.
Former deputy Finance Minister Cassiel Ato Forson argued the minister should have given the house details about the $100 million dollars for Covid-19.
Meanwhile, two Italians who were set to enter Ghana Monday night were stopped from entering the country, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has disclosed.
The move is part of Ghana’s effort to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the country.
Europe is currently the epicentre of the virus with more recent deaths recorded in Italy.
“There were two Italians who were coming from the epicentre and as soon as we got confirmation of the details, even though they were in the air, we had to make an arrangement at the airport to ensure that they do not get off the aircraft and that they are returned to their originating destination,” he told journalists Tuesday.
Source: Ghana/Starrfm.com.gh/Ibrahim Alhassan