After recording one hundred and six suspected COVID 19 cases, the Western Region has recorded its first confirmed case of COVID-19, Deputy Regional Director in charge of Clinical Service at the Ghana Health Services Dr Atsu Doodo told Takoradi-based Empire FM.
The first confirmed case come at the time the Western Regional Minister, Kwabena Okyere Darko-Mensah had advised residents to continue to observe the safety protocols to make sure the Region does not record any confirmed case in his Easter Message.
Dr Doodo even though failed to give more details about the first confirmed case, only remarked that that contact tracing has begun.
Out of the one hundred and six suspected cases, sixty-four (64) of the cases are negative whiles forty-two (42) are still pending.
Tarkwa-Nsuaem Municipality has eighteen (18) COVID 19 pending cases followed by the Sekondi-Takoradi Metropolis with seven(7).
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports reaching Empire News is that the said Coronavirus patient is a Chinese national who travelled to Ghana from Italy and used the Ivory Coast border.
COVID-19 cases in Ghana have jumped to 566 from 408 as of Saturday evening.
The development means over 140 cases have been recorded over the last 24 hours.
According to Ghana Health Service, as of 11 April 2020, a total of 37,954 persons had been tested with 566 being positive for COVID-19. The breakdown of the 566 positive cases are as follows: four (4) have been treated, discharged and tested negative, 552 cases have been categorised as mild disease on treatment, two (2) moderate to severe cases, none currently on ventilators and eight (8) have died.
Source: Ghana/Starrfm.com.gh/103.5FM/Ohene Gyan