Former Executive Director of the National Service Authority, (NSA), Osei Assibey Antwi would be slapped with fresh charges, State Prosecutors have informed the High Court in Accra.
On Tuesday, February 17, 2026, Principal State Attorney, Dufie Prempeh told the Court that freeh information has come to the attention of the Attorney General which would require an amendment in the charge sheet.
According to the Principal State Attorney, the Auditor-General’s performance audit report on the NSA had just been submitted to the Attorney-General, necessitating changes to the original charge sheet.
She said the business of the day is for Case Management Conference (CMC) however, the PSA, explained that the late submission of the report meant they couldn’t file an amended charge sheet before court.
She requested a short adjournment to allow them to file the updated charges.
“The case is scheduled for Case Management Conference,” the PSA, said, “however, the Auditor-General has just completed the performance audit at the NSA and has just submitted the report to the Attorney General.”
“A cursory look at the auditor report require the republic to amed the earlier charge. In view of the fact that the report was received just yesterday February 26, we were unable to file our amended charge sheet.
“We humbly pray for a very short adjournment to enable us file an amended charge sheet,” the PSA prayed.
Justice Kizita Naa Koowa Quarshie, the presiding judge granted the request and adjourned the case to February 25 for the accused to plead to the amended charge sheet.
The former Executive Director of NSA, Osei Assibey Antwi, has pleaded not guilty to 14 counts including allegedly authorizing payment of allowances to 60,000 non-existent (ghost) national service personnel.
Mr Assibey Antwi is accused of misappropriating the public funds during his tenure between August 2021 and February 2025.
According to the Attorney-General between August 2021 and February 2025, Antwi allegedly authorized payments of GH¢500.86 million in allowances to over 60,000 non-existent (ghost) national service personnel.
He denied 14 counts comprising seven counts of causing financial loss, six counts of stealing, and a count of money laundering, under sections 179A(1) and 124(1) of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29) and section 1(2)(c) of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2020 (Act 1044).
Bail variation
He was been granted GHc800 million bail, a bail sum which has subsequently been varied to GH¢623 million.
This followed a submission by his lawyers, led by Alex Osei Owusu, that his client had satisfied the essential elements of the bail, which involved submitting his passports to the registry but the some was a challenge.
Prosecution, led by Dufie Prempeh, a Principal State Attorney, opposed the request for bail variation despite not opposing to bail.
The former NSA Director was granted bail by Justice Kizita Naa Koowaa Quashie on October 30 in the sum of GH¢800 million with six sureties to be justified.
Unable to meet the conditions, he applied to the High Court for a bail variation, which was considered by Justice Marie-Louise Simmons, the judge relieving the substantive judge.
In her ruling, Justice Mrs. Simmons said she had considered the submissions made and, relying on the processes filed, varied the bail sum from GH¢800 million to GH¢623 million, the same amount the prosecution claims he misappropriated.
Apart from the varied bail sum, the court said all other previously set conditions still hold.
Antwi pleaded not guilty to 14 charges on October 30, comprising seven counts of causing financial loss, six counts of stealing, and one count of money laundering, under sections 179A(1) and 124(1) of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29), and section 1(2)(c) of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2020 (Act 1044).
In addition to the bail sum, he is to produce six sureties, and the security for the bail sum must be justified with landed property equivalent to the bail sum.
The court, presided over by Justice Kizita Naa Koowa Quarshie, had also ordered that he be placed on the Ghana Immigration Service stop list.
The sureties are to deposit copies of their identification cards with the registry of the court.
The accused person is also required to report to the NIB headquarters on the first and third Wednesday of every month.
Furthermore, the court ordered Antwi to submit all relevant passports and deposit them with the registry of the court.
Mr. Assibey Antwi is accused of misappropriating public funds during his tenure between August 2021 and February 2025.
According to the Attorney-General, between August 2021 and February 2025, Antwi allegedly authorized payments of GH¢500.86 million in allowances to over 60,000 non-existent (ghost) national service personnel.
End
Source: Starrfm.com.gh

