The Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, says government is dissatisfied with both the quality and quantity of food being supplied to students under the Free Senior High School (Free SHS) programme and is taking steps to address the problem.
Speaking at a press briefing on Wednesday, June 18, 2025, during the mid-year review of education sector policies, the Minister revealed that despite the release of significant funds for school feeding, reports of substandard meals continue to surface.
“We are not satisfied with the quantity and the quality of food. That is why we are re-engaging, and we are repositioning to share in doing it,” Mr. Iddrisu said.
READ: FSHS: Education Minister orders audit into school food quality, hints policy changes
He disclosed that government has released over GH¢500 million directly to schools since December 2024 to fund food procurement, yet the outcomes on the ground remain below expectations.
“So far, GH¢203 million, GH¢208 million, and another GH¢100 million have been released. But we are not happy with the outcome,” he said.
The Minister cited a recent case where poor-quality gari and palm nut soup served at a school was brought to his attention via WhatsApp. “That is not acceptable,” he stressed.
As part of efforts to improve accountability and oversight, Mr. Iddrisu said he has tasked the Ministry’s internal auditor to conduct an audit into food distribution across the country.
He also hinted at possible reforms to the supply chain, including a potential return of the National Food Buffer Stock Company (NAFCO) as the main distributor of food to schools.
“Our wish and desire would be for [existing suppliers] to continue, but I also get flak when food is not supplied on time and with quality. So we are saying Buffer Stock can do it,” he stated.
According to him, Buffer Stock has already been allocated GH¢100 million to support this renewed mandate. Once food is procured, the Free SHS Secretariat will verify deliveries and payments will be processed through GETFund.
“Payment should be much faster for the Free SHS area under GETFund than it was,” he said.
The Minister’s remarks come amid growing concern over school feeding under the Free SHS policy and reflect renewed efforts by government to prioritise student welfare and ensure value for money in education spending.
Source: Ghana/Starrfm.com.gh/Risa Wyettey Cofie

