The Minister for Roads and Highways, Kwame Governs Agbodza, has announced the imminent rollout of the first phase of the government’s Big Push Agenda, a major infrastructure drive aimed at fast-tracking key road projects across the country.
Addressing journalists in Accra on Tuesday, the Minister revealed that several critical projects—previously stalled due to lack of funding—have now been reclassified under the Big Push programme to ensure dedicated financing and sustained progress.
Among them is the Ofankor-Nsawam road, which Mr. Agbodza said has become a top priority due to growing public concern over delays and commuter discomfort.
He urged the contractor, Maripoma, to immediately begin necessary demolitions and take steps to ease the inconvenience caused to motorists and nearby residents.
He added that when the Mahama-led government took office, it inherited a number of large-scale road projects started by the previous administration but lacking any dedicated source of funding.
“We have concluded the studies, the design and costing of the first phase of the Big Push project. We are in the process of seeking the relevant permissions as defined in the Public Financial Management Act to be able to commence those works starting this month,” Mr. Agbodza said.
“For instance, the Ofankor project project is approaching $350 million, and of which just about half of that has been paid. If we don’t prioritize that under the big push, it will be difficult to complete,” he explained.
According to the Minister, the President has directed that the Big Push Agenda expand beyond campaign promises to include viable but unfinished projects, ensuring that no investment made in critical infrastructure goes to waste.
“The big push projects are now not only what the president promised during the electioneering campaign, but he has directed that for the sake of his own commitment to complete ongoing projects, we take over some of those projects,” Agbodza said.
The Big Push Agenda is expected to significantly enhance road connectivity, reduce travel times, and boost local economic activity once fully implemented.
Meanwhile, he also announced that road contractors will receive ¢4 billion cedis in arrears by the end of July.
Source: Starrfm.com.gh

