Akonta Mining Company Limited has denied allegations of illegal mining in the Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve, insisting that it has never conducted operations within the protected area.
The denial comes in response to a directive by the Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, who announced the immediate revocation of all mining licences held by the company.
The minister cited “overwhelming evidence” of illegal mining and what he described as a “criminal syndication” within the company’s operations.
Speaking at a press briefing in Accra on Monday, April 21, 2025, the Minister said investigations revealed that Akonta Mining had encroached on compartments 49 and 121 of the Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve without legal authorization or an entry permit.
He added that while the company had been granted a legal lease to mine off-reserve, it violated regulations by operating in restricted forest areas.
He also stated that the Minerals Commission has been directed to revoke the company’s lease, and all implicated forestry officials are to be interdicted pending further investigation.
However, Akonta Mining has pushed back strongly against these claims.
Speaking on Morning Starr with Joshua Kodjo Mensah, the company’s legal counsel, Kwame Adom Appiah, described the allegations as “unfortunate” and denied any wrongdoing.
He said the company holds valid leases and permits issued by the Minerals Commission and operates strictly within its designated concessions at Samreboi and Abokoase—not within the Tano Nimiri Forest.
He added that upon discovering illegal miners operating on their legally acquired land, the company requested assistance from the Western Regional Security Council to remove them.
Following the clearance, Mr. Appiah explained that Akonta Mining undertook land reclamation and reforestation efforts, including the planting of 18,000 coconut trees on a portion of the site.
Appiah criticized the Minister’s announcement, stating that the decision was based on unproven allegations and could set a troubling precedent for indigenous businesses.
He said, “Akonta Mining has never mined in the Tano Nimiri Forest, it’s never entered into the Tano Nimiri Forest. Akonta Mining has a lease-hold concession at Samraboi and Abokoase.
When a Akonta Mining after getting an entry permit onto this land, went onto the land, what we found out was that some people have already mined a substantial portion of the land. And we wrote to the Western Regional Security Council then to help us or assist us with security persons to drive out those who were still on the land. After that was done, we reclaimed the land.”
“And if you go to a Akonta Mining concession today, a portion of it, we planted 18,000 coconut trees today. Nobody is talking about that, that a Akonta Mining has been responsible. But we are relying on allegations that have yet been proven. It’s just unfortunate. Today it is a Akonta Mining, and a Akonta Mining is being targeted because it’s an indigenous business. Tomorrow it will be another person. But if you want to draw a conclusion, as the minister did yesterday, which was very unfortunate, we have to draw proper conclusions, not based on mere allegations.”

