Government says it is optimistic that its extradition request for the immediate return of embattled former Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, to Ghana will be successful.
Mr. Ofori-Atta has been remanded in the custody of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) following a closed-door immigration hearing held on Tuesday, January 20, 2026, pending further proceedings on his bail application.
The private hearing focused on whether Mr. Ofori-Atta should be granted bail. State attorneys opposed the request, citing Ghana’s extradition application for the former minister.
However, Judge David A. Gardey declined to make an immediate determination on the extradition claim, noting that no documentary evidence had been presented to support it. He subsequently directed the federal government to submit any such evidence by February 19. The case has been adjourned to Thursday, April 27, when the tribunal is expected to hear the bail application and consider any documents that may have been filed.
READ: UG Law Professor urges Ken Ofori-Atta to voluntarily return amid extradition proceedings
Commenting on the development, the Attorney General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine, expressed optimism that the former Finance Minister would soon be returned to Ghana.
“I monitored the hearing yesterday, and I have received reports from the United States regarding what has happened and what may happen, but these are confidential discussions,” he said, adding that, “The Justice Department is working on the extradition request. I am very hopeful.”
Dr. Ayine explained that the ongoing U.S. proceedings are separate from the extradition process. “What is happening now relates to immigration law violations. That is separate and distinct from the extradition request. The Justice Department would have to formally file that before the immigration judge,” he stated.
Mr. Ofori-Atta, who served as Ghana’s Finance Minister from 2017 to 2023, has been in ICE custody since January 6, 2026, following his detention by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His legal team requested the closed-door hearing, which focused on a bond redetermination.
Source: Starrfm.com.gh/Benjamin Sackey

