The Minority in Parliament has raised concerns over what it describes as shifting funding arrangements for the Ghana Accelerated National Reserves Accumulation Programme (GANRAP), questioning the sustainability of the current financing model.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, in response to comments by Ghana Gold Board (GoldBod) Chief Executive Officer Sammy Gyamfi, the Minority said responsibility for the cost of implementing GANRAP had changed hands several times within six months.
According to the Minority, responsibility for GANRAP implementation costs moved from the Bank of Ghana (BoG) to the Ministry of Finance in July 2026.
It said that from August 2026, GoldBod had begun seeking to raise funds independently.
The Minority described the changes as an unsettled funding structure.
“Three funding arrangements in six months is not a settled model. We view this with curious eyes,” Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo-Markin said in the statement.
The Caucus raised the issue as part of its broader response to GoldBod’s defence of its financial and operational performance under the Domestic Gold Purchase Programme.
The Minority said the funding arrangements required greater clarity, particularly given the financial implications of the programmes being implemented through GoldBod.
The concerns come as GoldBod transitions towards independently mobilising funds for its gold purchasing operations. GoldBod has previously announced that it raised US$75 million directly from commercial banks in August as part of a move towards a market-based financing model.
However, the Minority’s statement focused specifically on the reported changes in responsibility for GANRAP implementation costs, arguing that the sequence of funding arrangements raises questions about the stability of the model.
The Caucus said the issue formed part of its demand for greater accountability over the financial operations associated with Ghana’s gold purchasing and reserve accumulation programmes.
Source: Starrfm.com.gh

