The fate of Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Wontumi, nears as the High Court in Accra has ordered him to produce his next witness by May 28.
Failure to do so means he should consider his case closed.
This was after his lawyers, led by Andy Appiah-Kubi, said two of their witnesses are out of the jurisdiction since the trial began.
He added that his information was that they are coming back next week, a position that shifts from what he had previously told the Court.
Wontumi (A1) and Akonta Mining (A3) have each pleaded not guilty separately to the charges of Assignment of Mineral Rights Without Approval and Purposely Facilitating an Unlicensed Mining Operation.
The second accused, Kwame Antwi, a director of Akonta Mining, is currently on the run.
On Thursday, May 21, 2026, Wontumi mounted the witness box himself to speak to the allegations in respect of the charges against them.
He said, among other things, that he was not culpable of the charges and should be set free.
Following hbhis cross-examination by the Deputy Attorney General and his subsequent discharge from the witness box, his lawyers repeated a prayer before the Court.
Andy Appiah-Kubi said two of their witnesses have been out of the jurisdiction since the Case Management Conference stage, but “I have information that they are all coming next week.”
He added that, “We still intend to rely on their evidence in this matter,” and “We pray that your Ladyship show mercy on us and allow us to file the witness statements of our two witnesses early part of next week and possibly bring them to give evidence later part of the week.”
Deputy Attorney General Dr. Justice Srem-Sai, who was representing the Prosecution, opposed the request.
“We are opposed,” he said, adding that, “Counsel told us two weeks ago that they were going to file those witness statements this week.”
He said, “What is clear is that there are no witness statements based on which an adjournment can be taken.”
Dr. Srem-Sai submitted that, “Even if there were witness statements filed, the rule both in C.I. 87 and the practice direction gives this Court the power to close the trial where the witness is unavailable to be cross-examined.”
“We therefore pray that my Lady rejects this prayer. There are no witness statements before the Court, and the Court should adjourn for addresses, if any, and judgment,” the Deputy AG prayed.
Responding on a point of law, Counsel for the Accused cited Article 19(1), which talks about a fair hearing within a reasonable time.
By Court
Ruling on the matter, Justice Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, the presiding judge, said, “It is the considered view of this Court that at all material times, this Court has exercised its discretion under Article 296 and under Article 19(1).”
She said, “As far back as the month of March, this Court ordered the Accused person to file his witness statements,” and “He has so far filed only three witness statements.”
“And as at today he’s asking for an extension of time to file additional witness statements,” the Court said.
“I do not know how much time the Accused person wants, but for this Court to give him in terms of Article 19(1), I will further make reference to the case of Ghana Consolidated Mines Limited.”
“Having read this holding, this Court will extend time to the 28th of May, 2026, for the Accused person to put their witness in the box. In default, the Court will assume that the Accused has no more witnesses and close this matter for addresses to be filed.”
The Prosecution, led by the Deputy Attorney General, called four witnesses to close their case. So far, the Accused have called three witnesses, including Chairman Wontumi himself.
The case has been adjourned to May 28, 2026, for the Accused to call their next witness.
Source: Starrfm.com.gh

